Saturday, February 17, 2007

By Popular Demand



My father has graciously given me permission to pass this recipe on from our family to yours. He did not write the recipe as I have it here. I had to call him several times and ask questions. Since you do not have the ability to do that, I have taken the liberty of re-writing the recipe and including the information he shared with me over the phone.

Grandpapa's Oatmeal Molasses Bread
(makes four loaves)

3 C. milk
2 C. oats
1/4 C. butter
10 C. flour
4 T. wheat germ
1 T. salt
2 eggs and one egg white
1/2 C. molasses
1 1/2 T. yeast
1 C. warm water
1 T. sugar

Warm milk, oats, and butter over medium low heat until butter melts. Let cool. Meanwhile, mix first five cups of flour with wheat germ, and salt. Once milk mixture has cooled, add the eggs, egg white and molasses to it. In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the sugar in the warm water and add the yeast. Once the yeast is active add the milk, oat and egg mixture. Slowly stir in the dry ingredients. Add the remaining flour one cup at a time, mixing the dough well. Stop adding flour when the dough holds together and is no longer sticky.

Turn dough out on a floured surface and knead until it is springy. Let dough rest while you rinse the bowl and grease the bottom. Place dough back in bowl, turning once so the top is greased. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft free place for 45 minutes.

Punch dough down, roll out on flat surface and divide evenly into four loaves. Knead each loaf being careful not to overwork the dough and place each into a greased loaf pan. Grease tops with melted butter or crisco and let them rise in the pan in a warm draft free place for 30 minutes.

Slice loaves down the center with a sharp knife cutting deeply and bake at 350 for 38 minutes. Cover with foil after 20 minutes or so. (I did not cover with foil, but brushed an additional egg white on the tops at this point. It stopped the excessive browning and gave that nice shine to the tops.)

Suggestions: Serve warm from the oven with butter. Use for toast at breakfast. Top with butter and honey. Enjoy!

And be sure to let me know if you make it!

4 comments:

Goslyn said...

What a beautiful food blog, Suzanne. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I will let you know how it went as soon as I get around to trying it!

Ladybug Mommy Maria said...

Thanks, Suzanne for the recipe!

I see a cookbook in your's and Kristen's futures!

Enjoy - gotta love a clean kitchen!

Anonymous said...

Thank you both for this beautiful blog - I love the pictures and will certainly enjoy seeing what recipes you two bring to us!

nutmeg said...

I CANNOT WAIT to try this recipe!!

I'll let you know how it goes...